Fidisoa Rasambainarivo, DVM., PhD.
Co-founder & Scientific director
I am a wildlife veterinarian interested in the ecological approaches of health and particularly the “One Health” concept and the field of “Conservation Medicine”. I study the multiple interactions between human, domestic animal and wildlife health in Madagascar.
My research interests focus on the potential impacts of humans and domestic animals on wildlife health in various ecosystems in Madagascar, looking at, for example the transmission of pathogens between humans, domestic animals and endemic lemurs, carnivores or rodents.
I obtained my veterinary degree from the Department of Veterinary Medicine and Sciences (DESMV) of the University of Antananarivo, Madagascar and a Master’s degree in epidemiology from the faculté de médecine vétérinaire of the Université de Montréal, Canada and a PhD in Biology (Ecology, Evolution and Systematics) at the University of Missouri Saint Louis, USA.
Thanks to approximately 15 years of experience working with captive and free-ranging wildlife from Madagascar as a veterinarian and a researcher, I have gained an in-depth knowledge on health and conservation issues facing Madagascar’s wildlife.
- Rice, B. L., Annapragada, A., Baker, R. E., Bruijning, M., Dotse-Gborgbortsi, W., Mensah, K., Rasambainarivo, F.,... & Metcalf, C. J. E. (2021). Variation in SARS-CoV-2 outbreaks across sub-Saharan Africa. Nature Medicine, 1-7.
- Rasambainarivo, F., Rasoanomenjanahary, A., Rabarison, J.H., Ramiadantsoa, T., Ratovoson, R., Randremanana, R., Randrianarisoa, S., Rajeev, M., Masquelier, B., Heraud, J.M. and Metcalf, C.J.E., 2020. Monitoring for outbreak associated excess mortality in an African city: Detection limits in Antananarivo, Madagascar. International Journal of Infectious Diseases.
- Irwin, M.T., Samonds, K.E., Raharison, J.L., Junge, R.E., Mahefarisoa, K.L., Rasambainarivo, F., Godfrey, L.R. and Glander, K.E., 2019. Morphometric signals of population decline in diademed sifakas occupying degraded rainforest habitat in Madagascar. Scientific reports, 9(1), pp.1-14.
- Rasambainarivo, FT, Andriamihajarivo MN, Dubovi E, Parker PG., 2018 Patterns of exposure of carnivores to selected pathogens in the Betampona Natural Reserve landscape, Madagascar. Journal of Wildlife Disease.
- Rasambainarivo, F., Farris, Z. J., Andrianalizah, H., & Parker, P. G., 2017. Interactions between carnivores in Madagascar and the risk of disease transmission. EcoHealth, 14(4), 691-703.
- Brown, K. A., Farris, Z. J., Yesuf, G., Gerber, B. D., Rasambainarivo, F., Karpanty, S., & Johnson, S. E., 2016. Modeling co-occurrence between toxic prey and naïve predators in an incipient invasion. Biodiversity and Conservation, 1-19
- Pomerantz, J., Rasambainarivo, F.T., Dollar, L., Rahajanirina, L.P., Andrianaivoarivelo, R., Parker, P., Dubovi, E., 2016. Prevalence of antibodies to selected viruses and parasites in introduced and endemic carnivores in western Madagascar. Journal of Wildlife Disease.
- Alexander, A.B., Poirotte, C., Porton, I.J., Freeman, K.L., Rasambainarivo, F., Olson, K.G., Iambana, B., Deem, S.L., 2016. Gastrointestinal parasites of captive and free living lemurs and domestic carnivores in Eastern Madagascar. Journal of Zoo and Wildlife Medicine 47:141-49.
- DC. Bublitz, Wright, PC., Bodager, JR., Rasambainarivo, FT., Bliska, JB., Gillespie, TR., 2014. Epidemiology of Pathogenic Enterobacteria in Humans, Livestock, and Peridomestic Rodents in Rural Madagascar. PloS one 9:e101456.
- FT. Rasambainarivo, RE Junge, and RJ Lewis. Biomedical evaluation for Verreaux’s sifaka from Kirindy Mitea National Park. Journal of Zoo and Wildlife Medicine 45:247-55.
- FT. Rasambainarivo, TR. Gillespie, PC. Wright, J. Arsenault, A. Villeneuve, and S. Lair. Survey of Giardia and Cryptosporidium in lemurs from the Ranomafana National Park. Journal of Wildlife Diseases. 2013 49(3):741-743.
- FT. Rasambainarivo and RE Junge. A 12-Month Survey of Gastrointestinal Helminth Infections of Lemurs Kept in Two Zoos in Madagascar. Journal of Zoo and Wildlife Medicine 2010 41(4):638-642.
- RE Junge, CJ. Dutton, F Knightly, CV Williams. FT. Rasambainarivo, and EE. Louis Comparison of biomedical evaluation for white fronted brown lemurs (Eulemur fulvus albifrons) from four sites in Madagascar. Journal of Zoo and Wildlife Medicine 2008 39(4): 567–575.
- Rasambainarivo, FT and Steven M Goodman., Diseases Risk to Endemic Animals from Introduced Species on Madagascar. In Miller, R. E., Lamberski, N., & Calle, P. (Eds.). (2018). Fowler's Zoo and Wild Animal Medicine Current Therapy, Volume 9. Elsevier Health Sciences.